Thursday, September 23, 2010

Amelia update part II

Just a quick update -- We heard back from Gilette's this morning, and found out that the x-rays we had done at the beginning of Sept show that Amelia has scoliosis. It appears to be mild, a 16 degree curvature in her upper lumbar, but I'm now waiting to hear from the ortho team as to our next steps. Infant scoliosis is very rare, so I'm really not sure what they'll want to do. I'm assuming they'll want to follow/observe her for a while to make sure it doesn't get worse. Although depending on my conversation with them, we may end up scheduling an appt with them at our Nov follow-up for her tort. The nurse couldn't tell me much about it, such as if the tort and scoliosis were related or not and if that's why her tort is so persistent, but it feels like we have one more thing to worry about. Maybe best case scenario is that the scoliosis is making her tort look worse than it really is, and she wouldn't need the neck surgery after Nov but would have to wear a back brace instead? I'm just not sure what to think at this point. I'll post again when we know more.

No comments: